Saturday, April 11, 2009

Garden... Maybe

Well, yesterday was warm. Vibe us that we can get some raised gardening boxes built today in between kid soccer games and the medicinal gardening class that I am taking. It needs to stay warm and sunny today, so we can at least get them built, if not set down and filled.

I have decided for sure that I want to put the strawberry patch in the front yard. I think eventually I want to put a picket fence around the front yard so that if I do get chickens, sometimes I can let them out to peck around there. Plus, there is very little of anything else up there (including grass) because of our big beautiful trees, so why not. I could then plant some fruit bushes along the fence and have blackberries and raspberries. My one raspberry bush that I got last year for Mother's Day survived the long winter and hopefully will grow bigger this season.

My honeysuckle bushes, however, are not looking so good. I am not pulling them out, yet, but I'm just saying...

In chicken news... there is none. I have had no response to my e-mail. That means I will have to call on Monday and politely bitch and plead. Come on, people, I am so ready for my chickies! I promise they won't bother you.

My medicinal gardening class is at Badseed Farmer's Market in downtown KC. I took an Urban Homesteading class there a couple of weeks ago. I am really excited about the medicinal class and it's potential to steer what I plant in the herb garden this year.

Also, if anyone can get a hold of copies, there are great articles in both this month's edition of Mother Earth News and Ready Made on urban gardening and sustainability. We're taking over, folks.

No comments: