Monday, April 6, 2009

Lesson 1: Tea Tree Oil is Your Friend

Okay, so if there is one thing that I have learned over the past couple of years is that tea tree oil is the crunchy household's best friend. You can do almost anything with it. I have even learned to love the smell. It took me awhile.

So, jerritt, you ask, what can you do with tea tree oil? Well, I am glad that you asked.

1) It makes the best zit killer ever. Dab it on the spot for ones that are already there. Use a drop or two on a wet wash cloth or kleenex for an all over daily astringent.

2) It kills everything. I keep a spray bottle mixed up with 4 cups of water and a couple teaspoonfuls of tea tree oil at all times. It kills mold. It makes the smell of even stinky diaper pails and places where dogs have pooped inside (I know these two from experience, in particular) go away. Spry it in the shower to kill mildew. Spray it in buckets where you keep wet rags to kill mold and mildew.

3) Put a few drops in a face scrub, (Ivory's is the best! The recipe is here) to keep it from going bad before it's time.

4) If rubbed in the hair, it helps to kill and prevent lice. Unfortunately, this one is from experience, too. Darn kids.

5) You don't have to be scared of it like you do so much of the "health and beauty" stuff out there.

6) The possibilities are endless. You can get a super good deal online on a huge bottle of it. I know because I just ordered it. And shipping is cheap. Yeah, online shopping. Check out Vitacost.

In the health food stores, 1.2 an ounce can run you $11, so shop wisely.

Drop me a line here in the comments, and let me know you're favorite use for tea tree oil, I'd love to expand my love affair with this essential oil.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Yes!
We also put it on the dog when he is stinky and brush it into his fur, and put it in the hot steam vaporizer when the kiddo is sick to clear the head and kill off some germs.

xoxo
pippi longstocking

Heather said...

put it in your laundry to kill off dust mites. The thought of dust mites makes me ill, anyway when I worked at Body Shop I remember someone telling me to add it to your laundry.

HeatherAnne said...

I use a few drops in our homemade baby wipes (made from flannel and old Tshirts).