Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Taco Seasoning




We like Mexican food at our house. A lot. Looking at our bellies, possibly too much... but that is for another post. Anyway, the pre-packaged taco seasoning is chocked full of all kinds of things I can't pronounce and that I'm pretty sure I don't want to ingest, so I make my own. This is how I do it. BTW, the amounts listed are close approximations. Here at Chez Jerritt I do not do a lot of measuring in my cooking unless I am baking something very sensitive.


Taco Seasoning

To 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of browned ground hamburger, ground turkey, or veggie crumbles add:

And, yes, I know all fresh, homegrown, or even bulk would be better than some pre-packaged spices, but like you I am working towards self-sufficiency... and it is a process, so bear with me.

  • 1/2 - 2/3 cup of water
  • 2 T chili powder
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic (I really like garlic, so I have a heavy hand, judge accordingly for yours)
  • 1 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • heavy pinch of pepper
  • some red pepper flakes or ground cayenne (or a pepper cut up if you have one -- I have to tread carefully here, as I love spicy things, but my kids not so much)
  • 1/2 an onion or 3-4 green onions or a small handful of chives (I have some in my yard now so today mine are yummy and fresh!)




Let it heat through and enjoy. My kids love nothing more for dinner (well, maybe pizza, but...) than make your own taco night.

No comments: