Monday, April 6, 2009

Here Chicky, Chicky

Our city is SO behind the times. They have a ban on all non-domesticated animals, including chickens. This is distressing to me, as I desperately want some laying hens. Adam is luke warm on chickens, but so sick of hearing me pine about them, that he is willing to work towards them, as well. So today, I was proactive and sent an e-mail to our mayor. I know of at least two other families in our city who are interested in housing urban chickens, so I threw that in for good measure.

The e-mail:
I am writing for myself and several other citizens of Mission who are interested in furthering Mission's commitment to green living. We have taken on the challenge to move towards more sustainable living. As part of that we have planted gardens, recycled, used rain barrels and composted. However, we asking for a change in a city ordinance to continue in another area. I would like, as would several other people I know, to raise a few chickens so that we can have our own fresh eggs. They would also further natural pest control and fertilizing. Many other cities around us, including Merriam, Shawnee, and Kansas City, Missouri, now allow their citizens to keep a small number of "urban chickens" for their own use. We would be good animal stewards, will build coops and runs, will care for our chickens, and even agree not to house any roosters to lessen the noise of keeping such animals. The following is a website with more information, if you are interested: http://urbanchickens.org/. I am open to as much dialogue as is necessary to bring a change in our animal control ordinance to allow for the keeping of a small amount (say 4-5) laying hens for personal usage. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, Jerritt Dayhoff

Now, cross your fingers and look for regular updates on my drive to change the city ordinance.

2 comments:

A said...

I hope you hear something positive back soon.

HeatherAnne said...

Good luck! From a business owner's perspective, Mission's government is only out to make money for themselves while driving out all the small, local businesses. Maybe they actually listen to the residents... they sure don't listen to the business owners.