Monday, April 6, 2009

Welcome


This is an undertaking for me. I have decided, along with my husband and 4 kids, that we are going to work towards a more sustainable form of living. Some of us our embracing it more than others. My older daughter, the Hannah Montana addict, will likely not be giving up her Radio Disney, but you know, we are, after all, dropping out... a little.

Over the past several years we have been making modifications to our home and way of life to work towards a more sustainable future, and to make our lives more green. This website is one more step for me. It is me making a firm commitment to continue living as green as possible and to work each week towards adding something new to my repertoire.

We are not going completely back to nature. We will never give up the computer or the dishwasher, and I am firmly entrenched in my love of Diet Dr. Pepper, but we have made major steps toward eating more locally, conserving, and growing and making more of what we use.

I grew up on a farm. We raised sheep, cattle, and some crops. Adam (my husband) grew up the son of a grain elevator owner, so he too spent a lot of his early years attached to the land in some way. Now we live in the suburbs 10 minutes outside of Kansas City. Adam works downtown as a civil engineer, and I am a stay-at-home mom, having left my job as an attorney for the public defender's office to raise our family and manage our home full-time. It is an adventure, to say the least. Thanks for joining us on the journey.